We understand that your privacy is important to you. Given the private nature of the Ochat messaging service, we built it from the start with the privacy being one of the most important considerations. We don’t ask for information which is not needed for your use of the application, keeping it as simple and as private as possible.
Information you share with us
When creating your Ochat account, you let us know your email address (such as Google account) used for logging into the application, the name you’d like to go by in Ochat and your avatar. Some or all of these, depending on your profile completeness in third-party services (such as Google+, or Google sign-in), can be populated automatically within Ochat, saving you time and trouble with typing basic information.
You also provide us with the content of whatever you send through the application. Your messages and any other content are not stored on our servers after they are delivered to your message recipient(s), thus, maximizing your privacy.
When in touch with our Customer Service, you also share any information with us which you find important in your feedback.
Additional information we receive
We also may receive additional information about your usage of the application. It is then aggregated and de-identified and used for displaying various trends in the application’s usage and helping us highlight possible improvement areas in the application. The main goals behind this type of information are improving the application for you and other users or make your use of the application simpler. Here are the types of information we may collect:
- usage information about your activity in the application, such as which emoji images you use most often, which search queries you submit when searching for content, the frequency and intensity of using the application, etc.;
- content information which you transmit from sources outside the app, such as photos, etc.;
- device information such as the device model, operating system version, advertising identifiers, language, type of internet connection, etc.;
- contacts which you choose to import into the application in order to invite to the application or start chatting with;
- location information which is high level, such as which country you are located in (so that we can display relevant content for you) or which time zone you are in;
- cookies and other technologies, such as unique advertising identifiers, may be used for collection information about your activity in the application, browser and device; on many device models you can control your cookies and/or advertising identifier, so you can refer to your device’s settings for any possible changes needed;
- log information collected automatically or as part of your feedback includes, among others, your usage history of the application within a certain timeframe.
Information collected from third parties
We may receive information that other users send to us about you, such as when we import their contacts, and you happen to be one of those contacts. Or if other users choose to block you as a contact and report abuse, we also collect this information and may take action against your account (suspension or termination) if many users report such an abuse.
Use of the information
So what happens with the information available to us? We use it to offer you an excellent communication experience, including:
- developing, operating, improving, delivering, maintaining and protecting our products and services
- communicating with you
- analyzing statistical trends
- personalizing your application experience, such as via customizing content shown to you, including advertising
- enhancing security of our services
- preventing fraud or other unauthorized activity
- enforcing our Terms & Conditions and other policies
Some information may also be stored locally on your device, such as a local cache which lets you experience many parts of the app faster or offline.
Sharing the information
We may share your information as follows:
- Your name and avatar is shared with other Ochat users who have you in their contacts and add you as a Buddy;
- If you send an unsolicited message to another user who does not have you in his/her Buddy list, for the purpose of identifying you, we will display your name and email account used in Ochat to that user; if you would like this not to happen, you can choose to only message your friends who have you in their Buddy list.
- If your friends invite you to join Ochat, we may notify your friends when you join Ochat.
- In order for you to receive an unsolicited message from any other Ochat user, that chat user needs to have your email address first. So the same rules apply for anti-spamming in Ochat as with regular email messaging services: don’t share your email address with anyone who you don’t want to be contacted by.
- If you delete your Ochat account, your buddies who have you in their buddy list in the application, will be notified that you no longer use Ochat next time they try messaging you. After you delete your account, the email address that you authenticate with is retained, but all other information (name, settings, avatar, etc.) is deleted in our systems. We retain this email address so that if you come back and re-register, that any old buddies who messaged you in the past, can still message you without first having to search for your email address again.
- We may share your information with service providers who perform services on our behalf.
- If other users report abuse in connection with the messages they receive from you, we may store all or a portion of such messages for possible human checking. Repeated reported abuse may lead to your account’s suspension.
- We may share your information with third parties for legal reasons, such as to comply with the applicable laws and regulations, investigate or enforce violations of the Terms & Conditions, detect and resolve any fraud and security risks.
- We may share your information with third parties as part of a merger or acquisition. If the Company or Ochat gets involved in a merger, asset sale, financing, liquidation or bankruptcy, or acquisition of all or some portion of our business to another company, we may share your information with that company before and after the transaction closes.
- We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you, with third parties, such as advertisers.
We are concerned about safeguarding the confidentiality of your information. We provide physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect information we process and maintain. For example, we limit access to this information to authorized employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our application. Please be aware that, although we endeavor to provide reasonable security for the information we process and maintain, no security system can prevent all potential security breaches.
Advertising and analytics provided by third parties
Our services cannot be used by anyone under 13. We do not knowingly collect information about anyone under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with information without their consent, he or she should delete the child’s account immediately (in Settings / My profile / Account / Delete account).
You can stop all collection of information by the Application simply by deleting your account in Settings / My profile / Account / Delete account.
If you have any questions regarding privacy while using the Application or have questions about our practices, please contact us at [email protected].
Last updated: 1 August 2016